——————————————————————————–Examination Number 00707200 THE PARTS OF SPEECH ——————————————————————————– When you have completed your exam and reviewe
——————————————————————————– Examination Number 00707200 THE PARTS OF SPEECH ——————————————————————————–
When you have completed your exam and reviewed your answers, click Submit Exam. Answers will not be recorded until you hit Submit Exam. If you need to exit before completing the exam, click Cancel Exam.
Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question.
For Questions 1-6, identify the part of speech of the italicized word. 1. Catching fish is one of the oldest pastimes.
A. Noun B. Pronoun
2. Large fish swim swiftly in the sea.
A. Adverb B. Adjective
3. Catching fish is one of the oldest pastimes.
A. Preposition B. Conjunction
4. Thousands of years ago, fish were caught in nets and traps.
A. Conjunction B. Preposition
5. Large fish swim swiftly in the sea.
A. Verb B. Noun
6. Thousands of years ago, fish were caught in nets and traps.
A. Conjunction B. Preposition
C. Linking verb
7. Which sentence contains an action verb?
A. Mary works every day. B. She was lazy last year.
C. Her dog seems fierce.
D. Lynn is pretty.
8. Select the antecedent of the pronoun in the following sentence. The strikers will return to work when the union representatives have completed their negotiations.
A. strikers B. work
9. Which of the following is an interjection?
A. Hunting B. Wow
10. Which of the following sentences contains a demonstrative adjective?
A. Which one is this? B. This is his.
C. This hat is his.
D. Whose is this?
11. Which sentence contains a verb in the simple past tense?
A. She obeyed her father. B. She has obeyed her father.
C. She obeys her father.
D. She had obeyed her father.
12. People express thoughts mainly by using
A. numbers. B. language.
13. The noun to which a pronoun refers is called the ________ of the pronoun.
A. antecedent B. dependent
14. Choose the sentence in which the verb is a linking verb.
A. He works at a gas station. B. He has walked to work from his house.
C. His hours are long and busy.
D. His boss pays him well.
15. Which of the following words can be used as a noun?
A. Happily B. Younger
16. Which of the following sentences has a helping verb?
A. She swam across the lake. B. Her brother paddled the canoe.
C. She had rested on the dock.
D. He went home late.
17. In which sentence is race used as a noun?
A. Tom will race with four other boys. B. Tom won the race.
C. If you race across town, you'll be on time.
D. Don't race the motor when you're starting the car.
18. Which sentence uses the irregular verb see correctly?
A. I thought I seen him in the yard. B. Mary sawed that man again yesterday.
C. Sam has seen the same man in New York City.
D. When had you saw him last?
19. Which of these pronouns is third person plural posessive?
A. They B. Who
20. In the following sentence, which word is an adverb used to modify an adjective? It was quite late for a telephone call.